PS3 freezes while installing. Help! - GameAxis Forums
Go Back   GameAxis Forums > PlayStation Connections > PlayStation Console Arena
CLICK HERE TO LOG IN
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
hobbes187

PS3 freezes while installing. Help!

Hi all,

I have a problem currently. Just got Yakuza 3 and the game has mandatory installation upon starting. However, the installation keeps hanging at about 31% and doesnt move (the HDD light is not flashing also).

I have tried installing it 3 times and the same thing happens. Initially I thought I wasnt waiting long enough so I waited but its still at 31% after an hour!

Anyone has any idea what is wrong? The disc looks clean and I can play my other games without any problems.
hobbes187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #2
Agent Wax
Master Member

Re: PS3 freezes while installing. Help!

Don't know what to say to that. Only thing you can do is to take it back to the shop to exchange it.
2013 To-Buy List: Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus, Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece, Bioshock: Infinite, Muramasa: Rebirth, Gears of War: Judgement, 7th Dragon 2020 II, Dragon's Crown, Fate/Extra CCC, Resident Evil: Revelations, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, Sniper Elite V2: Silver Star Edition, Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, The Last of Us, DOA5 Ultimate, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, Beyond:2 Souls, XCOM: Enemy Within, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Agent Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
hobbes187

U think its a problem with the disc and not the machine?
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #4
PierceLee
Supremacy Member

Your PS3 HDD got enough space left?
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
hobbes187

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceLee View Post
Your PS3 HDD got enough space left?

Yes. If not enough space left will it just hang? I thought it should prompt me with an error message or something.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
Agent Wax
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes187 View Post
Yes. If not enough space left will it just hang? I thought it should prompt me with an error message or something.
If your HD has enough space and there is nothing else wrong with your PS3, then I'd say it's mostl likely a faulty disc. There's an off-chance your BD lens is failing to read the disc, but you can test that by watching some BDs or playing other games.
2013 To-Buy List: Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus, Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece, Bioshock: Infinite, Muramasa: Rebirth, Gears of War: Judgement, 7th Dragon 2020 II, Dragon's Crown, Fate/Extra CCC, Resident Evil: Revelations, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, Sniper Elite V2: Silver Star Edition, Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, The Last of Us, DOA5 Ultimate, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, Beyond:2 Souls, XCOM: Enemy Within, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
PierceLee
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Don't know what will happen when it is out of space or if there is bad sector on the HDD, but just to eliminate some possibilities.

Also look under Game Data Utility (not game save utility), see if there's any Yakuza 3 data left there from the failed installation. Maybe manually delete it first.

Can also try rebuilding database or restore file system. These are like chkdsk in Windows. They shouldn't wipe off anything on your PS3, but as a side effect, you may find things appear in different order (like under video, the files are sorted differently as older files may get a new date stamp).

1) Go to your PS3 system recovery menu
- Turn off PS3
- Hold the power button, you will hear 1 beep (PS3 turns on, green light), continue holding, 1 more beep, continue holding, 1 beep (PS3 turns off, red light), release button.
- After the PS3 shuts down, press and hold power button, 1 beep (PS3 turns on), continue holding, 1 more beep, continue holding, 2 consecutive beeps, release.
- You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
- The Recovery menu will pop up
2) Select Rebuild Database and/or Restore File System
Old 10-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #8
sandhika
Master Member

most likely disc spoil nia. i never had one before but is ur disc full with scratches? usually normal hairline scratches is fine, but scratches which are easily visible are nt fine.
sandhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
hobbes187

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceLee View Post
Don't know what will happen when it is out of space or if there is bad sector on the HDD, but just to eliminate some possibilities.

Also look under Game Data Utility (not game save utility), see if there's any Yakuza 3 data left there from the failed installation. Maybe manually delete it first.

Can also try rebuilding database or restore file system. These are like chkdsk in Windows. They shouldn't wipe off anything on your PS3, but as a side effect, you may find things appear in different order (like under video, the files are sorted differently as older files may get a new date stamp).

1) Go to your PS3 system recovery menu
- Turn off PS3
- Hold the power button, you will hear 1 beep (PS3 turns on, green light), continue holding, 1 more beep, continue holding, 1 beep (PS3 turns off, red light), release button.
- After the PS3 shuts down, press and hold power button, 1 beep (PS3 turns on), continue holding, 1 more beep, continue holding, 2 consecutive beeps, release.
- You will be prompted to plug in your controller via USB and then hit the PS button
- The Recovery menu will pop up
2) Select Rebuild Database and/or Restore File System
I tried to restore the file system and it says my HDD is corrupted. It then goes into a loop of restoring the file system but its never restored properly. So I formatted the whole HDD as the PS3 cannot start up after that.

After the format, I tried installing yakuza again and this time it reached 95% and hanged again!!!! AUGHHHHH.... After I force restart it, it tells me the HDD is corrupted and needs a restore again!

I suspect something is wrong with the HDD, what do u guys think?
Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 PM   #10
adli1996
Master Member

buy new ps3 jk...
adli1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 AM   #11
PierceLee
Supremacy Member

Quote:
I tried to restore the file system and it says my HDD is corrupted. It then goes into a loop of restoring the file system but its never restored properly. So I formatted the whole HDD as the PS3 cannot start up after that.

After the format, I tried installing yakuza again and this time it reached 95% and hanged again!!!! AUGHHHHH.... After I force restart it, it tells me the HDD is corrupted and needs a restore again!

Sorry to hear that you had to reformat the HDD. Hope you didn't lose much data (saved games and such).

It does sound like something wrong with the HDD. If you have a spare HDD, can swap in and give it a try.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #12
Agent Wax
Master Member

Quote:

Wow! That's harsh, man. My sympathies. Like PierceLee said, try changing your harddisk if you have another one available. If you don't, and your PS3 is under warranty, I suggest you take it to Sony. I don't think there is a point to spending several hundred on a brand new SATA HD which may not solve the problem.

You can also try installing a few other games first to see if there are general problems with writing to the HD.

I've never encountered failure to install before, though for some reason my Darkness game regularly gets corrupted at the same point. It freezes during a loading screen near the end, and the save data ends up corrupted so I lose everything. I still don't know the reason, as it happened even after I exchanged the game disc and bought a new PS3.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
arcana75
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Hi all,

I have a problem currently. Just got Yakuza 3 and the game has mandatory installation upon starting. However, the installation keeps hanging at about 31% and doesnt move (the HDD light is not flashing also).

I have tried installing it 3 times and the same thing happens. Initially I thought I wasnt waiting long enough so I waited but its still at 31% after an hour!

Anyone has any idea what is wrong? The disc looks clean and I can play my other games without any problems.
Did u change HDD?

One way forward is to format the HDD on a PC, FULL FORMAT on FAT32. Get something like FAT32FORMAT which can mark bad sectors. Once done try again.

It's possible ur HDD has bad sectors but I suspect the PS3 system cannot mark bad sectors during its format.
arcana75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
hobbes187

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcana75 View Post
Did u change HDD?

One way forward is to format the HDD on a PC, FULL FORMAT on FAT32. Get something like FAT32FORMAT which can mark bad sectors. Once done try again.

It's possible ur HDD has bad sectors but I suspect the PS3 system cannot mark bad sectors during its format.

I'm planning to get a HDD from SLS to replace the faulty one. I also suspect that there are some bad sectors on it so maybe I will get a casing so I can try to format it and use it for something else.

PS3 can take any laptop SATA HDD drives right? No issues on 7200 or 5600rpm?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
arcana75
Supremacy Member

No issue but I think some of the later large-capacity HDDs are slightly thicker due to the increased number of platters, and it may not fit into the PS3 slot.
arcana75 is offline   Reply With Quote