~ EVE Online Thread ~ - Page 4 - GameAxis Forums
Go Back   GameAxis Forums > PC Games Connections > MMO Dungeon
CLICK HERE TO LOG IN
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2006, 07:29 PM   #46
SHODAN

So there's only one server? Are there really like tens of thousands of players on at one go? Does the click-based combat detract from the experience, cos I was hoping for a mmo space sim with real time combat

I'm really getting sold into Eve, no time to try the trial out now, but maybe soon I will
SHODAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #47
kyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHODAN
So there's only one server? Are there really like tens of thousands of players on at one go? Does the click-based combat detract from the experience, cos I was hoping for a mmo space sim with real time combat

I'm really getting sold into Eve, no time to try the trial out now, but maybe soon I will
yes, 1 server (if u count the test server, 2)
yes, >10000 players on
no, there's so much on ur mind during combat (optimal distance, ammo, ur speed, enemies speed, enemies traversal speed, ur guns' turn speed, asteroids getting in ur way.......), u wont be in the least bored. n tat's tokking abt PvE onli, PvP is much much more cheem n fun
Old 05-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #48
raynor21

EVE is made up of hundreds of clusters of IBM blade servers. They python code they used to program the game enables stability across such a huge cluster. I'm not only impress with the game but the technology as well. There is a test server for beta versions. PVP and PVE can be exciting as there are many different ships and setups making it virtually impossible to have a i-win button. Best part is actually the skill points. There's no way you can max out everything in a short period of time (i've been playing for more than 2 yrs now still tons of stuff to try).

With the release of KALI (new expansion = new contents) faction warfare will change the face of empire space. Players get to make a difference in the way EVE develops. So what are you waiting for? Sign up and come join us in the fleet.

Cheers,
Neo
Lone Rangers Inc
EVE Online
raynor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:14 PM   #49
LiNuxIDIoT
Master Member

still i find it beri cheemz ahaha~
Old 05-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #50
kyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiNuxIDIoT
still i find it beri cheemz ahaha~
it is the CHEEMEST
Old 05-08-2006, 10:22 PM   #51
SHODAN

So I have the freedom to do almost anything I want? How's the station interior like? Are there things to do when you dock? And what about planets? Do they play a significant role? Can I like become all ub3r and then set up my own corp and take over the universe or something?
Old 06-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #52
raynor21

Yes, you have the freedom to do what you want. As for uber, no. To rule the universe, impossible. There's just too many alliances and corps out there that will beat the living crap out of you. This game is about teamwork and banding together if you wanna achieve big goals like controlling a region. Yes, you can dock at npc stations or POS (player owned structures). Moons are useful for extracting resources required for POS to operate.

Btw, if you are not intending to play for at less a year, don't bother trying. This is because, the first 3 mths of the game you will be a noob learning the roles etc. Without SP and isk, you can't really do much. Once you hit your 6th mth you are more or less ready for pvp (can fly better ships and afford to lose ships).

Lastly, if you have a weak heart (carebear) and totally can't accept defeat (losing in pvp), don't start the game. At some point of time, war will come and other players will overrun you and your corp with overwhelming numbers. I have been thru situations of 1 vs 10.
raynor21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 10:21 AM   #53
SHODAN

Man this really sounds like the game for me. At least it will whet my appettite until Infinity is released
Old 06-08-2006, 10:26 AM   #54
kyl

remember: in space, no one can hear u scream, unless u r on teamspeak
Old 06-08-2006, 10:38 AM   #55
Pyre
Supremacy Member

Quote:
So I have the freedom to do almost anything I want? How's the station interior like? Are there things to do when you dock? And what about planets? Do they play a significant role? Can I like become all ub3r and then set up my own corp and take over the universe or something?
Yes, EvE is pretty much a MMORPG. At the start you get to play with the character creation screen. You can change every aspect of your char's face, even set the different lighting effects to accompany your char's mug. You can easily take hours to get it right I like the face moulder tool, but unfortunately thats the only and last time you will ever get to play with it.

You can trade, you can fight, you can just explore around the galaxy - the galaxy is HUGE and in 3D! You can easily get lost in space if CCP did not add that navigational tools. And if there's a hot-zone you need to avoid, you literately have to navigate around it, or fight / run your way through the blockade.

Stations have interiors, but it is static for the most part (you can rotate around your ship but thats about it). You see a background with your starship docked and then you interface with the station via menu screens. It is not like Earth & Beyond where your char can actually walk around in a station. In stations you can upgrade your ship, trade, access the factories (vital to any corp), access the corp inventory, access the clone banks, transact with NPCs etc.

The sad thing about EvE is that you do not see any true humanoids in the game. You just see ships and more ships. And when NPCs or players communicate with you, u only see their static faces - nothing more. So it can get abit impersonal if you are used to games with player /emotes.

Last I played, planets play no role at all except for aesthetics. The current active players can correct me if I am wrong.

You can never be uber Because like raynor and what i wrote previously, you will need alot of friends and time to be 'control' a large segment of space. You can never win because time, skill points and the economics/politics of the player-base will always be against you.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #56
Pyre
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynor21
We don't mine as mining is too boring. I personally have been playing for more than 2 yrs. 40mil SP and basically a killing machine when I get into my combat setup.
Raynor got a question. if you don't mine, then where do you get your resources?
Old 06-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #57
n3l

Moons are not just nice to look at. As mentioned by raynor21, POS which is stationed at a moon extracts resources from the latter for its daily operation.

Yes, no one pilot can rule the universe. It is all about teamwork.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:13 PM   #58
SHODAN

Thx I'm dling Eve now and looking thru their boards

biggest catch for me is the politics. I'm looking for a game with deep politics, and this seems to be it. Also why I was interested in SWG (besides the theme), but then the patcher itself was fubared for me. I'm also very interested in economics, especially those that reflect real world ones (demand n supply, keynesian etc). I'm looking fwd to trying out a living, breathing mmorpg. Can anyone else confirm if planets are useful for anything?

Btw the client comes fully loaded with all the expansions like Exodus right?

Last edited by SHODAN : 06-08-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:05 PM   #59
n3l

Quote:

Btw the client comes fully loaded with all the expansions like Exodus right?
Yup, the current client does not require any patches to be download. Just install, fire up and go.

Lomari
Old 06-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #60
SHODAN

Sweet dled, now installing. I dled version 3582 instead of the latest (3900+) from gamershell cos the dl speed is faster. I'd rather dl the patches separately later. And maaan the installer is taking damn long to install

I'm a bit guilty though. Should be studying econs now