Official Blu-ray & movies chit-chat thread - Page 4 - GameAxis Forums
Go Back   GameAxis Forums > PlayStation Connections > PlayStation Console Arena
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #46
angel99999

Re: Official Blu-ray & movies chit-chat thread

IMAX imo is overrated.

If you like the full screen it gives, just go for 1.78 aspect ratio blu-rays.

Dark Knight althought is excellent reference for video and audio can bore it's audience due to the lack of action scenes.

IMO transformers 2 is better to be used as a reference than dark knight.

My avatar has yet to arrive, can't wait to view it in 1.78 ratio.

Last edited by angel99999 : 08-05-2010 at 09:33 PM.
angel99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:41 PM   #47
_dXter
Arch-Supremacy Member

IMAX has a higher resolution than normal film. Thus the transfer to BD will benefit with better video quality.
_dXter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #48
Neraka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wax View Post
US BD has dual audio and english subtitles. Japanese BD only has Japanese audio and no subtitles. Japanese version also does not come in standard BD box. It has its own special case (which looks good, actually). Extras are the same. UK BD coming later this year but it should be identical to US one (released by same company). The US version is US$19 on Amazon right now.
Thanks for the reply. Probably get the Japanese release first then.
Neraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #49
ghaleonn

Bought the taiwan version of Avatar last night because it come with a Dvd as well which my gf, my bro and sister can watch with their own family as they dun have a blu-ray player.

Like Jackygogogo mentioned, it only have movie scene nia and nothing else. Compared the 2 version last night and found that the dvd is dvd9 quality. (looks like vcd quality to me in actual fact).

Feel a bit regreted that I should have wait for the new version BD Avatar as it should have some other special scenes.

Anyway, after trying out the BD on my PS3, i realise quality otehr than BD really super super cannot be compared. Really no horse run.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:19 PM   #50
afrovillain

BoB was nice..awesome sound and pictures.Especially when the artillery start to shell them.I kinda like to watch Pixar animated movie.UP was definitely awesome.Nice storyline with great details
Old 09-05-2010, 02:00 PM   #51
darklighter
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaleonn View Post
btw, u guys play the Blu-ray movie on ur PS3? or on another Blu-ray player??

Anyway, When I first bought my local set PS3, I always thought that BD are not region locked. I realised I was wrong when I saw region code on the Avatar BD recently. On top of that, I read from Thursday "My Paper" about some consumers in the US were unable to play "The Avatar" on their BD player.

It really makes me wonder which is better. but another BD player or just use my PS3 for it...
What for spend on another player bro. Buy Region A or region-free BDs lor

i'm not getting the rationale leh
darklighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #52
savarios999

Just watched Ip Man 2... Samo Hung is freaking awesome for his age!!

PSN Gamercards
savarios999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:37 PM   #53
PierceLee
Supremacy Member

Just finished my Harry Potter marathon (among a couple of other movies). Awesome to watch the whole yr 1-6 over weekend. The first 5 movies have over a dozen language tracks (I'm going to watch again in Japanese ) and over 20 subtitles (including Chinese).

Oddly the last movie came with 2 BDs but not Japanese/Chinese. There's some bad artifacts in the Tom Riddle scenes in yr 6, crisscross patterns all over Luckily the vq of the rest of the movie is excellent.

Now going back to watch Swing Girls BD, for a 3rd time Just love that movie, most delightful and enjoyable.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:53 PM   #54
Risque88

Quote:
Originally Posted by savarios999 View Post
Just watched Ip Man 2... Samo Hung is freaking awesome for his age!!
I agree bro...the old man still has it. Love the movie man...AWESOME as hell!
Risque88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:12 AM   #55
_dXter
Arch-Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceLee View Post
Just finished my Harry Potter marathon (among a couple of other movies). Awesome to watch the whole yr 1-6 over weekend. The first 5 movies have over a dozen language tracks (I'm going to watch again in Japanese ) and over 20 subtitles (including Chinese).

Oddly the last movie came with 2 BDs but not Japanese/Chinese. There's some bad artifacts in the Tom Riddle scenes in yr 6, crisscross patterns all over Luckily the vq of the rest of the movie is excellent.

Now going back to watch Swing Girls BD, for a 3rd time Just love that movie, most delightful and enjoyable.
Pierce, where you got the swing girls bd? I would like to buy too.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #56
boogalogist
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risque88 View Post
I agree bro...the old man still has it. Love the movie man...AWESOME as hell!

Quoted for truth!! Sammo Hung is one of my favourite action star!! My utmost respect for him.
boogalogist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #57
PierceLee
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dXter View Post
Pierce, where you got the swing girls bd? I would like to buy too.
Got it from a Taiwan site. Around S$16, including DHL shipping. (I don't know how the shipping is calculated, it might be more if you only order 1 item.)
http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/dv...tem=D020030639

The image quality is just above average, but much better than any DVD version. (The Japan version is BD50, this is BD25, not sure if there is any difference on the video quality.) Has Chinese, English and Jap subtitles.

Love the humor in the movie - very funny, laugh-out-loud funny. I love the way most of the jokes were presented visually (though it is not a visual gag movie, like Naked Gun series). Also like the pacing of the movie. There's so much happening but the movie just went like a breeze. It doesn't drag on with dramatic scenes or insult your intelligence by explaining the jokes. Never a dull moment, a most delightful movie.

(The lead actress is the girl in Nodame Cantabile.)

Highly recommended.
PierceLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #58
_dXter
Arch-Supremacy Member

Many thanks Pierce, I am a fan of hers. lol I have this movie from BT many years ago, so I would want to buy her BD now since it is available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceLee View Post
Got it from a Taiwan site. Around S$16, including DHL shipping. (I don't know how the shipping is calculated, it might be more if you only order 1 item.)
http://www.books.com.tw/exep/prod/dv...tem=D020030639

The image quality is just above average, but much better than any DVD version. (The Japan version is BD50, this is BD25, not sure if there is any difference on the video quality.) Has Chinese, English and Jap subtitles.

Love the humor in the movie - very funny, laugh-out-loud funny. I love the way most of the jokes were presented visually (though it is not a visual gag movie, like Naked Gun series). Also like the pacing of the movie. There's so much happening but the movie just went like a breeze. It doesn't drag on with dramatic scenes or insult your intelligence by explaining the jokes. Never a dull moment, a most delightful movie.

(The lead actress is the girl in Nodame Cantabile.)

Highly recommended.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #59
Mandrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrovillain View Post
BoB was nice..awesome sound and pictures.Especially when the artillery start to shell them.I kinda like to watch Pixar animated movie.UP was definitely awesome.Nice storyline with great details
Just watched UP and I felt it was just an ok movie, in terms of storyline. The best part of it I felt that was very moving was the way they did their life story. Very very nicely done and I was very touched by it.

The other great thing I felt interesting with the DVD I saw was the extra features, where the production team went up onto those mountains in South America. It was like watching discovery channel!

I felt that the anime SUMMER WARS had very good looking graphics. I would look forward to owning it on BD.

The 4Ps and 1W of gaming= PC, PS3, PS2, PSP and Wii.
X = Wrong
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #60
Agent Wax
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandrake View Post

I felt that the anime SUMMER WARS had very good looking graphics. I would look forward to owning it on BD.
The Japanese BD is horrifically over-priced, what with it all being special editions. I'm waiting for Hong Kong or Taiwan to publish their own BDs. Hopefully, this film goes the Sky Crawlers way rather than the Rebuild of Evangelion way. If not, have to wait 2 years for a US BD...
2013 To-Buy List: Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus, Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece, Bioshock: Infinite, Muramasa: Rebirth, Gears of War: Judgement, 7th Dragon 2020 II, Dragon's Crown, Fate/Extra CCC, Resident Evil: Revelations, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, Sniper Elite V2: Silver Star Edition, Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, The Last of Us, DOA5 Ultimate, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, Beyond:2 Souls, XCOM: Enemy Within, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Agent Wax is offline   Reply With Quote