Survival Guide for BUY/SELL/TRADE in GAX. - GameAxis Forums
Go Back   GameAxis Forums > Marketplace > PlayStation Bazaar
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #1
Jovan

Exclamation Survival Guide for BUY/SELL/TRADE in GAX.

Survival Guide for Buy/Sell/Trade in GAX

Foreword:
Buying or selling something might be a common thing in your life. You have dealt with others so many times that you have lost count several years ago. However, some others might be so frustrated and confused by the same thing. Hence, I have forked out some time to write out a survival guide for everyone so that deals can be conducted smoothly without too much misunderstanding and communication breakdown. Please do give me a cookie if you felt that this guide has assisted you some way or another after reading.

So, what constitutes a successful deal?
For a successful deal to be executed, below are 6 core facets that need to be discussed in detail before the actual day dealing between the buyer and seller.

1.Item
2.Condition (Region/Language if applicable)
3.Price
4.Date
5.Location
6.Time

All 6 areas are equally important in enjoying a pleasant deal. Hence they must be communicated very concisely before every meet-up to avoid wastage of time and transportation charges.

How to create a good WTS/WTB thread?
It is fairly simple to advertise your intentions clearly.

Example:
WTS: GTA4 (R1) @ $40 Condition: 9/10

Prefer to deal at west side after 6pm. Will deduct $5 if self collect at my block. (Jurong East)

(Option 1) Pm me for more discussion
(Option 2) Text 9876-5432 for further discussion.

Isn’t it simple yet concise? We have the item, condition, price, date and location all listed and that will help potential buyers have a rough idea on what was expected if they so decided to text/pm you.

I shall add on for the Want To Trade topic header.

Bad Example:
WTT: GTA4 for/with RE5

I don’t know about you, but I would not know if he wants my GTA4 or my RE5. This thread will actually create an influx of people that wants to trade GTA4 or RE5 to contact him. A simple addition to this thread will solve the issue completely.

Good Example:
WTT: My GTA4 with your RE5

Problem avoided with clear topic header.

How to be a good seller and buyer?
Everyone loves to be loved and hates to be hated. Sometimes in life, people gets irritated or unhappy with us mainly due to some issues. Again, I shall list down a few negativities that we can strive to not commit during trading.

Dishonesty
Being honest is the very least you must do during a deal. Selling an item that was not what was being communicated beforehand is a big NO NO.

Example:
Seller tells buyer that his Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 is in mint condition with no region lock. Both met up and buyer found that the disc was slightly scratched and the instruction manual was missing. Buyer was angry but still decided to carry on with the deal since his friend was waiting to play with him. The happy buyer went home and found the region to be different from his friend. Unhappy ending.

This is just a somehow common problem that should not happen in the first place if everyone was being frank. If the item is not in superb condition, let the potential buyer knows about it to avoid wasting each other’s time. Worst scenerio is to offer some more discount to justify the condition of the item.

Reserved/Pending
This is a rather sensitive and ambiguous topic that skirts between profit and agreement. Let’s take a look at the example for a clearer picture of what I am pointing to, shall we?

Example:
Buyer and Seller have an agreement on trading Resident Evil 5 for $50. Time, date and location were confirmed and text messages were sent between them for further affirmation in the morning. Buyer waited at the designated meet-up place for the seller, but seller suddenly informed buyer that his brother-in-law wants the game. Hence the deal was called off. The unhappy buyer went back to GAX forums in search of another deal and coincidentally found the seller selling RE5 to another buyer at a higher price.

Ps: Buyer and Seller’s role can be inter-switched.

This should be a very unhappy situation for the buyer and again, it can be avoided. If the seller had taken the effort to inform the buyer that someone has offered him a higher price for the same item.

Ask if buyer would
1.Allow him to deal with the other guy.
2.Match the price offered by the other guy.

Do note that Seller should still continue with the deal with the 1st buyer at the same price if the 1st buyer is not comfortable with both options. An agreement is an agreement and seller is encouraged to not go back on his words just because of a higher price offered. On the other way round, the 2nd buyer should not counteroffer if the item was not up for bid. A simple gesture of consideration will go a long way in GAX.

Punctuality/Fickle-mindedness
If a time and place are agreed on, buyer and seller are encouraged not to make last minute changes like say, 5 minutes beforehand. Should the last minute changes be totally necessary for him, he should either get the permission of the other party in dealing at a later time and/or place or offer to deliver to his house or convenience.

Things to take note during meet-up
1.Confirm on exact meet-up area. Jurong East has many good meet-up places and it is better to confirm the exact place to deal.

2.For MRT stations meet-up. Confirm if deal is to be done at the platform or outside the control station. We are not encouraged to deal between the gantry because a fine might be imposed if the MRT officers are in a foul mood and caught us doing that.

3.Ask if change is needed for prices like $68 or $73.

4.Sms the other party of your arrival and the location you are waiting for him. Optional to inform him of your attire.

5.Check the condition of the item to avoid misunderstanding.

Frequently asked questions
Q: What is lowballing?

A: If someone is selling an item for $50, a lowballer will offer the guy $25 or less for the item. In some cases, lowballing will not be considered if the selling price is way above the market value like preowned Resident Evil 5 for $80.

Also, it may be wise to make a distinction between bargaining and lowballing. Bargaining usually involves price revisions (up or down) of a few dollars or so, or an offer to meet somewhere or sometime more convenient for one party in exchange for a price revision. (Credits to AgentWax)

Q: How do I identify a scammer or someone with an infamous reputation?

A: Generally, use the search button for some personal data gathering. Googling his email or mobile number might show some results too.

Q: How do we know the market value of an item?

A: For popular titles, normally we can do a search and compare the prices among the sellers. Market value should be averaging between $(X-5) and $(X –10). A general rule of thumb would be below the retail price.

Q: What should I do if someone prices his games too high or way above market value?

A: Try using the private message function instead of posting in his thread. I believe that will be easier for him to revise his price and heed your advice without issues of pride and having that 'newbie' feeling arising within him.

Conclusion:
Actually, majority of the folks in GAX do practice excellent buying/selling skills and etiquette. This survival guide is maybe just a refresher for some, a wake-up call for others and tips for the newcomers. My guide is not the gospel and even without following them precisely, pleasant deals can be achieved too. Hereby, I wish everyone a pleasant experience with everyone and remember that harmony breeds prosperity.

Jovan

Last edited by Jovan : 10-07-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Updated on 10th July 2010
Jovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
lordbearsg
Master Member

Re: Survival Guide for BUY/SELL/TRADE in GAX.

Power!!!!!
lordbearsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
F3Rm1nat0r
Supremacy Member

thanks for the effort!

http://forums.gameaxis.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=190010&dateline=1260498158
F3Rm1nat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #4
kimotherapy
Master Member

hahaha bro u power!
Not bad, got guide.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
Shoryuken!!

Good read! Ups for you bro
Shoryuken!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Zdarlight

Real useful tips man!
Zdarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
Jovan

Thks for the cookies.

Today is such a slow-moving day though.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Agent Wax
Master Member

Great effort, Jovan. However, I should point out that it is not a good idea to suggest that people post their personal phone numbers. Phone numbers should be optional, depending on whether you are comfortable giving it. PMs may be a better option.

Also, it may be wise to make a distinction between bargaining and lowballing. Bargaining usually involves price revisions (up or down) of a few dollars or so, or an offer to meet somewhere or sometime more convenient for one party in exchange for a price revision.
2013 To-Buy List: Dead Space 3, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Senran Kagura: Shinovi Versus, Genkai Totsuki Monster Monpiece, Bioshock: Infinite, Muramasa: Rebirth, Gears of War: Judgement, 7th Dragon 2020 II, Dragon's Crown, Fate/Extra CCC, Resident Evil: Revelations, Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2, Sniper Elite V2: Silver Star Edition, Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, The Last of Us, DOA5 Ultimate, The Bureau: XCOM Declassified, Beyond:2 Souls, XCOM: Enemy Within, Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Last edited by Agent Wax : 12-10-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Agent Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #9
Jovan

Many Thks bro~

I somehow left that out in my train of thoughts just now.

U have a cookie too for pointing that out Agent Wax. =P

Ps: Another cookie for the excellent summarizing of bargaining/Negotiation vs lowballing.

Last edited by Jovan : 12-10-2009 at 04:17 PM.
Jovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #10
boypalos

hope that will stick to the mind of all gax members..

thanks for the great effort here
Old 12-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
ahkia1

This should be a sticky. good job.
ahkia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
Oenrix

Nice write up. i use to get lots of lowball offer in the past, i gave up selling off my used game after that. Good trading experience keeps everyone happy. some one should sticky this.
Oenrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
icecube9

hey highlight the DLC too. some buyers are clueless abt it until they come across the DLC just to realise it has been claimed.

buyers should do their research if the game comes with dlc,
sellers should inform if they have claimed the dlc

i had an unpleasant experience with Rockband when i gotta know the dlc has been claimed and the seller didnt inform me.
Old 12-10-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
b.ahboy

Hi bro, thks for ur guide! its did helps to clear some of my doubts. Nice to have u in the community!
b.ahboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #15
ongski

Wow... nice guide bro.. upzzz. for you....
ongski is offline   Reply With Quote