Re: Xbox LIVE FAQ's

Haha
10 char
iHEll2K7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #17
kurtztan

Just got my xbox yesterday.
I've tried registering a Singapore and also a US Account.. seems to be quite a lot of difference.

Just wondering which region account are you all using?
I'm deciding before I purchase a 12mth Gold account.

I don't want to make any wrong move.
I register online and then found out that if i did the xbox live account from the console itself I get 1-mth free Gold.
Now I can't get back the 1-mth free account. *sigh*
I also redeem a 48hour trial gold. but can't see any difference in the Singapore account.

I did google and search through forums but can't get a definite answer.
Hope you guys can help me out.
kurtztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
Pyre
Supremacy Member

while there is no stopping you from using & playing on a US account, i suggest using an Asian account instead.

One reasoning is because of the Microsoft points if you ever do intend to purchase MS points.
what are MS points?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Points

Why would you want to buy MS points?
To buy XBL Arcade games or DLCs for your retail games. you buy it from either xbox.com.sg or your Xbox's dashboard.

Ok, but how does that affect the account?
1. (I believe) MS points are locked to the account's region.
2. Because local stores sell only Asian MS points.

You could buy US account MS points, but they naturally cost more.

hope that helps explain why most of us usually play with our Asian accounts, but we do keep our US (and even EU) accounts just so that we can download (free) stuff that maybe only available to the US/EU dashboard. For myself my US account is not a GOLD account nor does it have any MS points.

regarding #1. I did buy a 1600 US MSP card before and added the points to my Asian account. it did work, doesn't mean the reverse is true nor do I intend to test that out. If someone does verify that Asian MSP can be added to US accounts, then that could mean MS might have lifted the region restrictions on MSP. (one reason is because of different currencies & market segments)

-----------

As an aside, Microsoft Silver & Gold accounts are region free.
Comparisons of Silver & Gold memberships, just ignore the Zune & netflix or other video streaming stuff, but ... nevermind):
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/joinlive
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_Li..._Live_features
(local xbox live didn't seem to work for me when I tried it just now).
Old 20-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #19
adishollywood

Juz bought a new 360 slim bundle with kinect. Havin trouble logging in to XBOX Live. Thing is i got connected to the internet but halfway thru connecting to xbox live it stopped. Stating that i should switch off & on my modem which i have already done that many times but still the can't log in.
Any solution or advice?
adishollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 04:22 PM   #20
flybanana

I just join XBOX live, and I encounter a problem that I cant buy MS.

My Windows Live ID is Taiwanese account, and when I try to fill my credit card information, my region is shown as Taiwan.

When I click add point on the xbox website, it automatically change the language to Chinese and also the currency as NT

I try to change my windows live ID to United States, and it still doesnt work.

I dont know how to fix the problems, anyone knows?
flybanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #21
flybanana

Quote:
Originally Posted by adishollywood View Post
Juz bought a new 360 slim bundle with kinect. Havin trouble logging in to XBOX Live. Thing is i got connected to the internet but halfway thru connecting to xbox live it stopped. Stating that i should switch off & on my modem which i have already done that many times but still the can't log in.
Any solution or advice?
Go to this website
http://support.xbox.com/en-us/pages/...xbox-live.aspx
I just solve the same problem as yours
flybanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #22
setohyf

i got a question im planning on getting an Xbox and buying mostly second hand games. will i be able to play for example Black Ops on Xbox live if someone has already used the game? If yes how do i go about identifying that when a seller give me a 2nd hand game that i can use it on xbox live?
setohyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #23
Pyre
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setohyf View Post
i got a question im planning on getting an Xbox and buying mostly second hand games. will i be able to play for example Black Ops on Xbox live if someone has already used the game? If yes how do i go about identifying that when a seller give me a 2nd hand game that i can use it on xbox live?
1. yes pre-owned games can be played on the 360. please be aware that some games come with one-time usage codes that allow you to download content. once the code is used, no one else can use it. honest sellers will usually say 'codes redeemed' or 'codes unredeemed'.
2. if it is not immediately obvious that it is a first hand copy, you can always contact the seller and directly ask. i assume that's what you were asking.

hth.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:49 AM   #24
Pyre
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybanana View Post
I just join XBOX live, and I encounter a problem that I cant buy MS.

My Windows Live ID is Taiwanese account, and when I try to fill my credit card information, my region is shown as Taiwan.

When I click add point on the xbox website, it automatically change the language to Chinese and also the currency as NT

I try to change my windows live ID to United States, and it still doesnt work.

I dont know how to fix the problems, anyone knows?
your first problem is that you're entering your credit card information to buy MS points. IMHO, don't. just go to the stores and buy the MS points cards instead. reason, do a google and you'll read about the trouble alot of folks have in removing their credit card information.

your xbox live account is linked to the country that you stated for your Windows Live ID. to fix your problem - unfortunately you may have to create a new Windows Live ID.

best advice:
1. create Windows Live ID.
2. immediately go to your X360 and create a Xbox profile. then say you have a Windows Live ID. link your xbox profile to Windows Live ID...
3. you'll get 1month free Xbox Live Gold membership
Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 PM   #25
kukujun

Just redeemed code for 12-month Xbox Live GOLD.

Had trouble keying in code directly on Xbox console. Kept telling me "Invalid code".

Then tried doing it on my PC (live.xbox.com) and it worked.

Now on the xbox website (on my PC), it shows my account is nox Xbox Live GOLD.

But it still shows Xbox Live FREE on my console.

Tried turning off console, and turning on (effectively signing in and out), but change still not reflected even after 20minutes.

Any guys with a solution? Please advise. Thanks so so much in advance!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #26
jackaroo

not sure if i posted correctly but this thread is the most updated.

I dun understand how come xbox need to pay to play online. The games sell abt the same price for PC and it juz need to register a code to go online. Unless the server content is different between the 2 else can somebody enlighten me. I juz switch to xbox cos the spec needed for PC is quite high to play intensive game like the BF3. Maybe now for a decent card to play BF3 is ard 300SGD. After a yr, it may get obsolete as new game publish. I juz can't keep up with the upgrading.
jackaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #27
Pyre
Supremacy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
not sure if i posted correctly but this thread is the most updated.

I dun understand how come xbox need to pay to play online. The games sell abt the same price for PC and it juz need to register a code to go online. Unless the server content is different between the 2 else can somebody enlighten me. I juz switch to xbox cos the spec needed for PC is quite high to play intensive game like the BF3. Maybe now for a decent card to play BF3 is ard 300SGD. After a yr, it may get obsolete as new game publish. I juz can't keep up with the upgrading.
XBL has party options that allow us to chat, even while we're across different game titles.
it isn't the best solution but it's better than having nothing. and having the party means needing a party/chat server that MS has to maintain - thus that's what you're paying for. there are other subtle stuff like instant achievement syncs etc. but those are very minor features IMHO.

there are cheaper 12 month cards out there. just need to know where to get it. if u play online alot, this is the best value for $ for XBL.

if u think you won't be playing online much, or dislike having to pay $ for online, then get the PS3 ver. you can't go wrong with either platform.

tell u what, what's your GT? i'll add u to my friend list and maybe u can ask me more. (if im not busy playing BF3 )